Monday 4 July 2016

Tongariro crossing - march of the ants

Before I even came to New Zealand I heard about Tongariro crossing. You can stay in camp sites close by but, be warned get there early as they fill up quickly! What I was not aware of was the popularity of this hike. Where I hike in Canada on some hikes seeing 20 people could be a busy day. The day we went there was two or three thousand people and if you go on the long weekends you are looking at 10,000 people.....therefor the march of the ants. If you can try to do it during the week. 

Before you start the hike you want to book your transportation from one end back to the carpark. You have to select your time which can make things difficult as its hard to judge how long it will take. 

I was getting quite frustrated as the hike started with the pure volume of people. I was amazed how many people were there. When I go to the outdoors it is to enjoy the scenery which there is plenty of here but hard when there are so many people around. 

There were only two spots where there were long drops (bathrooms). I remember walking and seeing a few massive lines and than a stench I can't begin to describe how foul. I started gagging at the smell god did something die. I was gagging so hard that a guy close by said "thats awesome" and was laughing. There was no way I could stomach going in those. 

Most of the hike I was stunned with the views of the surrounding areas. The pictures below do not do any justice. 

Throughout the day I remember singing the ants go marching one by one....which is not that far from the truth. 

This is just one of the many great moments I had in New Zealand. 

For now it is onto more adventures as it is;

My Life
My Choice
My Time

Tuna Tom
































No comments :

Post a Comment